Week 1: Apr 25
What we learned:
- The different types of investments
- Basics of Investing and risk tolerance
- How stock markets work
- How to research companies we want to invest in
- Investing in our first trades
What our young investors need to do
1) Login to https://challenge.explorerhop.com Use your PIN and First Name
2) Decide how much you want to invest LONG TERM. Remember, the stock you buy long term you will hold for 8 weeks. Make sure you leave some money for short term (the stock you will change every week)
3) Go ahead and buy your Long Term & Short Term Stocks. Remember all the information is easily available on Yahoo Finance. If you are buying the stock after 4.00PM EST (1.00PM PST-Vancouver Time), you need to get the After-Hours price because the market has shut. (You will learn more about that next week). When you are done check your statement to make sure your stocks are there.
4) Things to discuss with your family and friends: Next week, you will invest in a Canadian stock. Spend some time talking to your family and friends and come up with a list of 3 stocks.
My name is Kejdi. I am a Finance Teacher for Explorer Hop and will also be your child's financial coach the next month. I am so excited to be working with your kids.
Explorer Hop is an innovative financial literacy and entrepreneurship program based in Toronto, Canada. Over the last year, more than 3500 students from over 14 countries have been in our programs.
This is the first step in our 8 level program to teach kids how to invest.
Please bookmark this page as updates will be provided here.
Our Camp Millionaire 1 program is designed to teach kids ages 11+ how to invest in the stock market. Our students learn through hands-on interactive investment games, proactive discussions and collaborative research- all in a stress-free environment. Our programs and students have been recognized and featured on BBC, Global News, The Canadian Jewish News and more.
Financial literacy is a vital skill in our lives and yet so few have it. By empowering our kids with a good foundation in investing we are enabling our kids to make practical, money-savvy decisions as they prepare for their future. Our program helps put them on this path of success.
Think about how amazing it will be when your Grade 7 child can look at a company and analyze the stock information for themselves! This is just the first confident step they take on their investing journey.
Over the course of the next 8 weeks, we will be learning all about the stock market. They will learn everything from what is Market Cap to Dividends. As we learn, kids will be investing in our Stock Market Challenge, where they will each manage a virtual stock portfolio of $10k with real-time stock market feeds. The money is virtual but the prices and decisions they make have real-time implications.
Move over Warren Buffett - our Young Investors are about to take over!
Here is the information you need to connect to the program on Sunday. The line will open 10 minutes before the class starts.
Class 1: 2:00 - 4:00 PM EST
Zoom Link for the class: https://us02web.zoom.
Link to the Investment Challenge: https://challenge.explorerhop.com/
You will need your PIN and First Name to login.
DISCORD channel: https://discord.gg/RmYMdx9hEC