This course provides you with an in-depth knowledge of taxes and tax strategies to help create a more efficient portfolio. It will also dive into bitcoin to provide students with a look at how cryptocurrencies work.
What will you learn?
Students will learn core topics in taxes including:
- What are taxes?
- Different types of taxes: Progressive taxes, Income taxes, capital gains tax
- Common and Advanced Tax Saving Strategies like the Smith Manoeuvre.
- Understand the concepts of adjusted cost base value and book value, including how to calculate real gains.
- Tax benefits of different investment accounts such as a TFSA and RESP.
The course will also dive into trading and investment strategies such as:
- Different types of trades (long/short positions, limits, and stops),
- Dividend Re-Investment Plan (DRIP)
- Dollar Cost Averaging (DCA).
Lastly, a brief introduction to bitcoin is provided to expand students’ views on the different types of currencies available to them throughout modern finance.
PREREQUISITE(S): Global Finance (ENCM03) and Learn to Trade (ENCM01)