WEEK 2: September 15, 2018
We had a wonderful session today and the kids learnt the very important lesson about keeping their money safe. They also learnt how to do basic functions with their ATM card and we will continue with that next week.
Last week's homework has been published. Please click here: https://explorerhop.com/blogs/gallery/how-to-save-more
Homework for this week
1) All children should finish this excercise online (Don't forget to login)
2) Children will learn how to Deposit and Withdraw money.
a) You can go to ANY Meridian Credit Union branch. The closest branch to New Education is at Yonge & Sheppard Centre. Here is the address: Yonge & Sheppard Centre, 4841 Yonge Street, Unit 126, Toronto, ON M2N 5X2 (Across from Dollarama) Telephone: 416-730-9432. The Branch manager is Glen Gmora. If he is in the office, please ask your child to go and say hello. He can say he is a student of Explorer Hop and opened the account already.
b) They need to go to the TELLER and DEPOSIT $10 into their account using their ATM card. They learnt today what to say and how to check the receipt.
c) After this, they need to go to the ATM machine and WITHDRAW $10. We learnt today what to do so they know which buttons to press. They need to take their receipt and bring that next week.
Discussions to have at Home:
Please discuss with your children how important it is to be discreet about money and how it is really no one's business how much money they have. Also discuss with them how to keep devices and cards safe, and get their ideas on things you do that need to be changed to keep things safer.
WEEK 1: September 8, 2018
Thank you for enrolling your child in our program. Here is a summary of what we covered and what they need to do at home. This blog will be updated every week so you can follow what we are doing. Please bookmark this page.
Children learnt the Golden Rules of Saving. They learnt how much it costs for parents to raise children and how they also have a responsibility to think before they make demands or waste things. They learnt to apply these methods before buying anything:
1) Ask yourself three questions: Do I need it? Will I use it? Will I enjoy it?
2) Set goals for what they really want.
3) Don’t waste! They learnt how every year each Canadians wastes $1000 in food and how it’s silly for them to not eat their lunches or waste food because all this costs money.
4) The money tree and interest. Ask them to explain this to you.
5) How to choose wisely before they spend. Just because they have money in their piggy banks does not mean they spend it.
6) Before actually buying something, they should take a picture with their phones. If a week later they still want it then it’s worth having it as a goal.
Homework to be completed before Friday Sept 14:
Children have 2 homework to complete this week:
1) All kids need to open a bank account with Meridian Credit Union. We have organized for them to get $25 free when they open the account and in the next class they will learn how to operate the account. They will also get a Debit Card and we will also teach them how to use that safely. This is important because we will be using this account to teach them how to withdraw and deposit safely.
To open the account, please go to the following bank:
MERIDIAN CREDIT UNION
26 St Clair Ave E ( Yonge & St Clair)
Hours: Monday to Wednesday: 9.30-5.00pm
Thursday and Friday: 9.30 - 6.00pm
Saturday: 9.30am - 3pm
Speak to: Kerelle (Branch Manager) or Jade. Please tell them your children are enrolled in Explorer Hop program.
You can only get $25 free if you go to this branch.
You will need to take the following documentation with you to open the account:
- Govt issued ID for you and your child (drivers liscence, passport, birth certificate)
- SIN Card / SIN Number
- Proof of Address if not on driver liscence
2) All children should do the following homework where they define their goals for savings and how they will try to accomplish it. Please click here and have them complete it by Friday. https://explorerhop.com/pages/mission-save-more
Please log in to the site (click image of small person on the top right hand side)
Username = your email
Password = explorerhop
If you have any problems logging in, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Conversations to have at home:
We recommend having the following conversations at home so that the learning continues at home. Please ask your children
1) What will they do to stop wasting things that cost money?
2) How will they start to save more?
3) How will they help their families so that they start to save more and waste less?
See you next week!