Week 1 (September 16, 2018)
We have an amazing bunch of kids this term - all so interested and focused!
Today we looked at how to save, for kids who were in Summer Camp this past summer the discussions were much different and they learnt a fair amount through that. They also learnt how to prevent wasting and how buying food and throwing it away was the same as putting money in the garbage.
We then learnt about the banking system and how there are 4 different types of banks in Canada and what is good/ bad in all of them.
All kids have 4 pieces of homework to do (all due Friday, September 21)
1) All kids need to open a bank account with Meridian Credit Union. We have organized for them to get $25 free when they open the account and in the next class they will learn how to operate the account. They will also get a Debit Card and we will also teach them how to use that safely. This is important because we will be using this account to teach them how to withdraw and deposit safely.
If your child has siblings, you can also get $25 off an account for them.
To open the account, please go to the following bank:
MERIDIAN CREDIT UNION
26 St Clair Ave E ( Yonge & St Clair)
Hours: Monday to Wednesday: 9.30-5.00pm
Thursday and Friday: 9.30 - 6.00pm
Saturday: 9.30am - 3pm
Speak to: Kerelle (Branch Manager) or Jade. Please tell them your children are enrolled in Explorer Hop program.
You can only get $25 free if you go to this branch.
You will need to take the following documentation with you to open the account:
- Govt issued ID for you and your child (drivers liscence, passport, birth certificate)
- SIN Card / SIN Number
- Proof of Address if not on driver licence
2) Kids need to complete this online form to identify their saving goals.
4) Only for kids who have previously been to Explorerhop Summer Camp: Kids should bring 2-3 stocks they are interested in following. For kids who have not been exposed to stocks, do not worry, we will be covering this next week.
Discussions at home:
Spend some time discussing with the family to see how they can help the family save money every month from their budget. The goal really is to get parents and kids talking about money matters that impact them.
See you next week!
Getting Ready for Our Class
Thank you for entrusting us with teaching your child about money. We are excited to meet them and work with them over the next few weeks.
Here is some information to make your first day easier.
- Classes are held at Median Credit Union, 26 St Clair Avenue East. (corner of St Clair & Alvin) . Please climb the stairs and enter the branch, we will be waiting for your child there.
- Parking is available behind the building in the Green P parking lot.
- Classes start at 10.30am and Pickup is at 12 noon. Doors will open at 10.20am. All children should be picked up promptly at 12.
- NO PHONES OR DEVICES allowed in class. We find this distracts from the learning.
- Children should bring a non-messy snack and a water bottle.
- Kids will get a little homework to do every week (find stocks, compare interest rates etc). This should be done and submitted by Thursday. All responses will be shown on our web site.
- Should you have any questions, please feel free to email me at hello@Explorerhop.com or phone/text me at 416-833-1782. If this is during class, I will return your call after class has ended.
- Waivers needed! We will need some waivers signed on Sunday to allow us to post images of your child on our blog etc. Please sign those when you drop off your child. Click here for the document.
- Please bookmark this page as you will get updates every week on what we studied, portfolio winners and what homework they need to do.
See you on Sunday!